There are many ways to become a greenhouse flower grower in the Philippines. The simplest way is to make a home made greenhouse from wood and plastic. To have decent volume, it is suggested that each greenhouse should be at least 1,000 square meters in size so that economies of scale can be reached. Labor in the Philippines is relatively cheap and one can find one at many garden centers and outlets specializing in outdoor structures. Prices do vary considerably among suppliers, so it’s wise to shop around and compare prices for similar greenhouses.
Alternatively, one can use pre fabricated greenhouse structures that can be purchased through several suppliers around the world. The main advantage of this is that they can be made specially for growing flowers. They are easy to assemble and offer a vast amount of customized accessories that can suit the unpredictable climate in the Philippines.
- When choosing the location for your greenhouse, your top priorities should be a clear area that will provide maximum exposure to sunlight. Take note of of where the sun rises and sets and adjust your plans so that you plants get the maximum exposure from sunlight. It would also be helpful see if there are any obstructions such as buildings that may hinder you plants from catching the sun.
- Make sure that the ground is leveled to maximize irrigation. The Philippines has varied terrain but the best terrain for flower growing is one that is flat so that the water from your irrigation flows throughout your entire crop. Some flower growers choose to put a slight incline to prevent flooding in the middle parts of the greenhouse.
- Buy only quality flowers for your farm. If you invested in a greenhouse facility, it does not make sense to produce low quality flowers. Good quality flowers are more productive and can be sold at higher prices. Be wise, go only for quality crop.
- Do not overspend on accessories. Remember that the Philippines has a great climate for producing flowers. Many greenhouse and irrigation suppliers will show you greenhouse accessories meant to improve your flowers. Be wise in this investment, the natural climate and fertile soil in the Philippine provides much of what these accessories have to offer.
- Your electricity supply is of utmost importance. Take your electricity supply seriously. Greenhouse production is closer to manufacturing than it is to farming. With the unpredictable nature of electricity supply in the Philippines, make sure that you have back up generators to power your irrigation, pumps, and cooling mechanisms. If this goes down, you business does as well.
Growing flowers in the Philippines requires much more commitment than normal farming but if done properly, it can yield a stable crop of flowers for many years to come. As globalization hits the Philippines, competition from flowers growers abroad is becoming more intense. Flower farms in the Philippines must adjust to these conditions and produce flowers that are of world-class quality. Greenhouses provide farmers the ideal atmosphere to grow quality flowers consistently.